There is much written and taught on the subject of prayer-how to pray, when to pray, what or whom to pray for, answers to prayer and much more. To be successful in our Christian life we must learn to be effective in prayer. Here, without God’s blessing and His guidance we will be doing our will rather than His will. Reading through the articles and prayer guides as well as the Bible, there are a few key principles that stand out for me, personally:
- God has called us into a relationship with Himself. Relationships require communication. Prayer is communication between a holy God and a beloved you and me. Throughout God’s Word we’re taught the significance and role of prayer.
- God reveals Himself to us through prayer.
- There is real power in praying God’s word and there is power in praying in unity
- Praying for the needs of God’s people is both fulfilling and gratifying
- Jesus teaches the disciples how to pray. Matthew 6:9-13
- Jesus said, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” Mark 14:38
(6) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (7) And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4: 6-7
(14) if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14